Gas Water Heater Parts

Up until 2005, all gas water heater parts were interchangeable. Just
run down to the local hardware store and pickup a thermocouple or
gas valve and you were in business.

Now their are several different designs and brand specific parts
for gas water heaters.

Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant (FVIR) gas water heater parts
can be hard to find depending on the brand/manufacturer.

FVIR gas water heaters have a sealed burner compartment with
a viewing window and the pilot is lit with a Piezo Igniter (see pic.

Older gas water heaterOlder style water heater.
FVIR water heaterFlammable Vapor Ignition Resistant (FVIR)

Search for parts by brand below. Several companies no longer
make their gas water heater parts available to sellers. You may
have to purchase parts directly from the company or one of their
dealers. Go here for a list of manufacturers and brands.

Whirlpool water heater gas parts can be found at Lowe's home improvement.
Check Home Depot or Amazon below for Rheem parts.

Disclaimer: If you make a purchase via a link on this page, I may earn a small commission on the transaction - at no added cost to you. Thanks!

A O Smith




GE  (General Electric)

Kenmore Elite

Kenmore (all kenmore water heaters except Elite)




Whirlpool is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program,an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to at no added cost to you. Thanks!

The parts below are sold at Amazon

Piezo Igniter

There are several different styles of water heater piezo igniters Some use a spade (flat) post for the wire connection, others use a round connection.

Unplug the wire from your igniter to see which connection you will need.

Some have threads and a nut for mounting, others are designed to slide and snap into a holding bracket.

The parts below are sold at Amazon

                                                                                               Back to top


The universal thermocouples below will fit all older style water heaters and several of the FVIR water heaters.

If your thermocouple has a thermal cut off switch built into it, and its not listed below, call or go to the manufacturer's website.

18 in. universal thermocouple,
fits most water heaters.

24 in. universal thermocouple.

                                                                                            Back to top

Thermocouple Kits

The gas water heater parts below (piezo igniters) are for  (FVIR) Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant water heaters.

This thermocouple kit fits Richmond, Rheem, Ruud, Vanguard, and
General Electric FVIR water heaters.

Rheem SP20064 Thermocouple Replacement Kit

                                                                                               Back to top

Gas Water Heater Parts - Control Valves

A standard residential gas valve will have a 3/4 inch threaded shank
that screws into the tank. Some valves have 1/2 inch threads so be
sure to check thread size.

Natural and propane water heater gas valves are not interchangeable,
so, be sure to order a valve for your type of gas.

Some FVIR water heaters have gas control valves with left handed
threads at the thermocouple connection, and/or the pilot tube or
burner connection.

If all three of the connections on your valve turn left to loosen, right
to tighten and their are not any wires attached to the valve, you have
a standard gas valve used on all older water heaters and several
FVIR brands of water heaters.

Check the manufacturer name, modal and serial number on your
gas valve and google the information it to find a valve.

Contact the manufacturer of the water heater.

Natural Gas


Natural Gas


Natural Gas

Back to top

  1. Home
  2. Gas Water Heater Parts